Thursday, October 7, 2010

Foursquare and Yelp

Foursquare and Yelp are social networking websites frequently used in marketing. Foursquare lets you check in to places and receive coupons and discounts for frequent visitors. Yelp lets you post and read reviews of businesses and products. Businesses are taking advantage of these websites to interact more with their customers and to promote their products. Foursquare lets people check in to places and if someone checks in more than any other person, he/she becomes the mayor that place. Special deals and discounts are offered to people who have checked in a certain number of times or are the mayor of that place. Yelp lets people post reviews and read reviews, rate businesses, write about experiences, etc. Both places promote latest products and businesses by letting customers know about the latest products through promotions, coupons, and ads. The chances are that a customer does not go to a store to buy JUST the thing on sale, but other things too. This is how businesses profit.

As a user on Yelp. a person can write about their experience, post reviews, or rate businesses. A person can also read the reviews and see the ratings and experiences to decide if they want to go somewhere or buy something or not. On Foursquare, after a person checks in, tips and suggestions from other users pop up to promote products in that place. I think Yelp is very useful because I want to know other people's opinions about the product before I buy it. Foursquare also seems great because of its deals but I think it would be annoying to check in everywhere I go. They are both amazing tools for businesses because it's so easy to promote products and to save money on advertising. It's also really effective because Yelp and Foursquare have a lot of users. I would definitely use this tool if I was promoting businesses because it's so easy, effective, and cheap. However, if the product was bad and I knew it was bad, I would not use it because I don't want people talking about it. Instead, I would use traditional advertising to just convince people that I have an amaizing product. If I have a good product, I would use this websites as much as possible to create positive buzz about my product.

No comments:

Post a Comment